Possible bug in replace-regexp?

From: Moira
Subject: Possible bug in replace-regexp?
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 00:59:52 +0100

Hi.

I've just attempted some regular expression search/replace in emacs - a thing I like to do in editors - and noticed some strange behaviour. I thought I'd rather ask here before posting a bug-report to early.

If my search contains a grouped quantor like this "myString\(.*?\)" a C-q,C-j newline in the replacement is added *before* the groups backreference, even if it's placed behind it.
Like in this replace: "myString\1[emacs C-q,C-j comes here]".

This should yield:

some-stuff
myString more-stuff-in-the-myString-line
the-rest
<<<

Instead it causes this:

some-stuff
myString
more-stuff-in-the-myString-line the-rest
<<<

I should add that this is Aquaemacs, a native GUI Emacs port for OS X. I haven't tried it the CLI version yet and I'm not 100% sure C-q,C- j is the way of putting a newline into the replacement.

Is this a bug (read: can you guys reproduce it?) and/or are there other ways to approach this problem?

Thanks for any advice and input on the subject.

Phillip