Re: How to search a whole word in emacs?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to search a whole word in emacs?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:26:15 -0800 (PST)

David Combs wrote:
<<...Mastering Regular Expressions, By Jeffrey E. F. Friedl... To
convince her and others to get it, how about some comments from those
who've got the book?>>

I read it in its entirety in 1999. (first edition)

I think it is a excellent book. However, i don't think it as a
practical, necessary, book, for average professional programers who
works with text a lot (such as web app developers and sys admins).
Because:

* in my extensive use of regexes, daily, since about 1998 working in
the web application industry and sys admin, i only need to use
advanced regex maybe once or twice a year.

* most complex regexes needs, are more practical to be implemented by
breaking down into 2 patterns to test on (as opposed to a single
complex regex).

* when you need advanced regexes, the regex very quickly cannot handle
the job. You need either to break it into several regexes with nested
if statements, or you need a parser.

in the above, by "advanced regexes" i mean non-grouping constructs of
the form (?...), boundary anchors, nested patterns... etc.

-------------------
related articles i've wrote:

* Pyhton Regex Documentation: String Pattern Matching (complete
rewrite of python's re module doc.)
http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/module-re.html

* Simple intro to emacs's regex
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_regex.html