Re: Avoiding CLI-emacs character suckage on OS X?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Avoiding CLI-emacs character suckage on OS X?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 02:05:02 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 21, 12:09 am, Moira <mo...@demetria.de> wrote:

> In
> the OS X Terminal I can either choose to use Alt as the Meta key and
> shed the means to insert such things as "\", "@", "EURO" and so forth
> (German KB), or I can choose to leave it and then have to use Esc
> whenever I do a single Meta action, which really sucks when scrolling
> or doing other M intensive stuff.

This is a known problem. Similar to what Xah Lee suggested in his
parallel response, I have put together a mode that binds common
characters to M- keys, so that you can continue to use Option for Meta
and insert common characters at the same time.
The mode is actually a series of modes (one for each keyboard layout):
`emulate-mac-german-keyboard-mode', for instance.
This is available from the Options -> "Option Key" menu in Aquamacs
(which can be run from the command line, too), but I'm sure you can
take the source file for that mode and use it with any distribution.