Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically

From: address@hidden
Subject: Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:38:20 -0800 (PST)

I need to edit some UTF-8 files and it's very annoying emacs doesn't
detect it automatically (I have to reopen them as utf-8 manually) and
sometimes I notice it only after I already edited and saved the file
which messes up the formatting.

I tried prefer-coding-system utf-8, but it didn't help.

I can't put lisp code into the files, because they are data files.

Is there a definitive way to do it? The BOM is at the beginning of the
files, so Emacs could detect it automatically.

It's emacs 22.