Re: Easy way to rename files sequentially?

From: reader
Subject: Re: Easy way to rename files sequentially?
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:50:45 -0600

> Am 25.11.2007 um 23:40 schrieb reader:
>
>> I guess what is throwning me is the use of format strings that are not
>> explained to generate the numbers.
>
> What more information do you need? C-h f format RET? Is it this?

I guess that might be helpful except I still am so blind I'm not
seeing how numbers are incremented.  I've posted the content with line
numbers. Can you show me the relevant lines?

1  format is a built-in function in `C source code'.
2  (format STRING &rest OBJECTS)

3  Format a string out of a format-string and arguments.
4  The first argument is a format control string.
5  The other arguments are substituted into it to make the result, a string.
6  It may contain %-sequences meaning to substitute the next argument.
7  %s means print a string argument.  Actually, prints any object, with `princ'.
8  %d means print as number in decimal (%o octal, %x hex).
9  %X is like %x, but uses upper case.
10 %e means print a number in exponential notation.
11 %f means print a number in decimal-point notation.
12 %g means print a number in exponential notation
    or decimal-point notation, whichever uses fewer characters.
13 %c means print a number as a single character.
14 %S means print any object as an s-expression (using `prin1').

15  The argument used for %d, %o, %x, %e, %f, %g or %c must be a number.
16   Use %% to put a single % into the output.

17 The basic structure of a %-sequence is
19 where flags is [-+ #0]+, width is [0-9]+, and precision is .[0-9]+