Re: Move yanked entry to front of kill ring instead of other way around

From: bramadams
Subject: Re: Move yanked entry to front of kill ring instead of other way around
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:17:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

On 22 nov, 17:34, bramadams <adams.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, I wonder whether there is also some solution where the most
> recently yanked entry is physically transferred to the front of the
> ring instead of the other way around. Of course, in that case the ring
> is not really a pure ring anymore...

I've been browsing a bit through the elisp manual (http://www.gnu.org/
software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/The-Kill-Ring.html#The-Kill-
Ring), and the behaviour above apparently is not that easy to obtain.
Advising functions would be the way to go, but there may be some
problems with the interplay between yanking and undoing.

Suppose the ring contains ("a" "b" "c") with "a" as the oldest entry.
If one presses C-y followed by M-y, one should not immediately move
the resulting "b" to the front of the kill ring, as there could be
other M-y or C-_ invocations before the current yank process ends,
i.e. the actual desired data is found. Then, the ring's front should
move back to its original position, with the yanked data moved to the
front (if needed).

Did anyone ever try to pursue something similar, i.e. change the
current kill ring behaviour?

Kind regards,

Bram Adams