Re: Easy way to rename files sequentially?

From: reader
Subject: Re: Easy way to rename files sequentially?
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:56:52 -0600

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 01:33:36 -0600 reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>
>> So something like:
>>
>> img-0987.jpg
>> img-9027.jpg
>> img-1237.jpg
>> img-0007.jpg
>>
>> Might become:
>>
>> 000-img-0987.jpg
>> 001-img-9027.jpg
>> 002-img-1237.jpg
>> 003-img-0007.jpg
>
> M-x wdired-change-to-wdired-mode RET
> C-M-% img RET \,(format "%03d" \#)-img RET
> !
> C-c C-c
>
>> Or if keeping the original for reference is not needed then possibly:
>>
>> img-000.jpg
>> img-001.jpg
>> img-002.jpg
>> img-003.jpg
>
> M-x wdired-change-to-wdired-mode RET
> C-M-% img-[0-9]+ RET img-\,(format "%03d" \#) RET
> !
> C-c C-c

Thanks for showing the method... I was hoping to do this from plain
dired mode and that is what my input has been about.  I didn't want to
have to switch back and forth from wdired to have access to all the
normal dired tools.

Is it possible to do that from normal dired mode?  I know some of
methods you used will not work in dired but is there anyway at all to
accomplish sequential numbering from dired?