Re: Emacs Environment Variables

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs Environment Variables
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:06:11 +0100

Sven Utcke <utcke+news@informatik.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> > How often do you need to separate stdout and stderr in some shell?
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> dd if=something of=something 2>>logfile | tar xf -
>
> So what?
>
> (dd if=something of=something | tar xf - ) >& logfile

Depends on tar not outputting anything...

>> Stuff like that is completely common for scripting.  Or even just
>>
>> echo "This is an error." >&2
>
> echo "This is an error." > /dev/stderr

Unportable even between tcsh and tcsh since it relies on the existence
of a non-standard device.

>> You know, there is a reason that both stdout and stderr exist.
>
> Yes, and tcsh doesn't handle this too well.  But just like Peter I'm
> bitten by this _much_ more rarely than by the absence of a "find last
> command starting with" functionality in Bash...

C-r works pretty well here.

> Maybe our usage-patterns are different?

More likely our understanding of the context.  I tell people that csh
sucks for scripting, and they tell me that I am wrong since they don't
care about scripting.

Somewhat surreal.