Re: indent ragion

From: Jason Earl
Subject: Re: indent ragion
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 10:03:54 -0700

cgiocoli@gmail.com writes:

> Suppose you have a text like this
>
> Hi all,
> I have been used emacs for a long time.... but I want to do something
> very special and I think that emacs can do it.
> Considering one paragraph how can I indent all the paragraph
> automatically to fit a box for example?
>
> indent in a rectangle is to make this
>
> Hi all, I have been used emacs for a long time...
> but  I  want  to  do something very  special   and
> I think th at  emacs  can  do it.  Considering one
> paragraph  how  can  I  indent  all  the  paragraph
> automatically    to   fit    a     box     for example?

Oh  yeah, you  can definitely  do that.   What you
want is  to full justify the  paragraphs.  You can
do   that  by  using   the  set-justification-full
command  (M-x  set-justification-full).  You  also
probably   want   to    take   a   look   at   the
set-fill-column command.  This  allows you to tell
emacs where to break the lines.

This paragraph has the fill-column variable set at
50 (default for  me is 70).  I set  that using C-u
50   M-x   set-fill-column.    Then  I   did   M-x
set-justification-full and  I have fully justified
paragraphs.

 As you probably guessed you
 can also do things like M-x
  set-justification-center.
     This paragraph has a
      fill-column of 30.

   Or you could right justify,
  just to be different.  There
    probably are some uses for
           this sort of thing.

When you are all done goofing around you can put things back to normal
fairly easily.

Jason