Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:51:40 +0100

Hi Exal and all others

Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo <no-spam@gnu.org> writes:

> ,----[ Configuration for gmx smtp server ]
> |
> |               ;; Use gmx smtp server
> |               (message "Using gmx smtp server")
> |              (setq starttls-use-gnutls t
> |                    starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
> |                    starttls-extra-arguments nil)
> |              (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil
> |                    send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
> |                    message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
> |                    message-send-mail-partially-limit nil
> |                    smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
> |                    smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
> |                    smtpmail-debug-info t
> |                    smtpmail-debug-verb t
> |                    smtpmail-auth-credentials "~/emacs-stuff/mailauth"
> |                    smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 nil
> nil))
> |                    smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net" ))
> |
> `----

We have tried this configuration, changing the necessaries and adding
the personal data (user-full-name etc.). It was necessary to install
the Debian package gnutls-bin which contains gnutls-cli. But it didn't
work either. This is the error message:

Sending via mail...
220 mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices ESMTP {mp031}
250-mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices
250-8BITMIME
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-SIZE
250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
250 STARTTLS
550 5.7.0 Need to authenticate via SMTP-AUTH-Login {mp031}
221 2.0.0 GMX Mailservices {mp031}
smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error

So, the authentication fails. What can be the reason? Can there be
anything missing, perhaps on the exim side?

Apropos. There is an additional ) at the end of your code. We had to
eliminate it to have gnus come up. Is there something relevant missing
on the top of the code or is it just part of a user-defined function
to switch smtp alternatives?

Thanks for help

Sven