Ediff help behavior very irratic

From: reader
Subject: Ediff help behavior very irratic
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:06:41 -0600

GNU Emacs 22.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.7) of
2007-06-24
In an X session running KDE-3.5:

I haven't used ediff for a very long time.. maybe as long as 2 yrs.
Now using it today I find a serious problem in trying to veiw ediff
help with the ? toggle.

I suspect it may be somekind of keyboard or X problem but I'm not
noticing keyboard problems in any other apps or usage. So wondered if
anyone else sees it.

When I press the ? toggle to display the help I get a very brief flash
of the help window and then it returns to the small size but
displaying something different and in a different location on the
desktop several inchs from where it started.

If I keep tapping the toggle ? enough times I eventually get the
normal help window.  But then when pressing ? to return to the small
window it jumps around again and displays `Type ? for help' but
remains at the larger size.

With repeated pressing of  ? it eventually changes back to the normal
small window displaying `Type ? for help'