Re: How to turn off conf-mode

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: How to turn off conf-mode
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:36:51 GMT

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:42:29 -0800, Robert L Knighten wrote:

> How do I turn off conf-mode in a buffer?  Even more how do I make sure
> it doesn't start in a buffer?  I opened a simple text file named cf.out
> and was horrified to discover the mode is (Conf[Unix]) rather (Text
> Fill) as I expected.  The problem appears to be the name cf, but I
> haven't been able to find how that is forcing the mode.

To "turn off" any mode, you just switch to another mode, so in your case,
you'd want M-x text-mode (and possibly also M-x auto-fill-mode).

For doing this in general, you need to look at auto-mode-alist, which I
don't know enough about to be able to help you much. But frankly, if it's
just one file you may as well just do it by hand each time or maybe place
this:
-*- text -*-
In the first line of the file, which is a magic command to tell emacs to
open the file in text-mode.

To check whether things like your auto-mode-alist or the above -*- thing
are working, a nice trick is M-x revert-buffer which pretends it's
opening the file from scratch and rechooses its major mode.

Rupert