Re: code critique requested

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: code critique requested
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:57:20 -0700

Sebastian Tennant wrote:
Quoth Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>:
jpw@pobox.com (John Paul Wallington) writes:

metaperl.com wrote:

(defvar *asciidoc-indent-level*
Sticking asterisks around special variable names is a Common Lisp
affliction that isn't done in Emacs Lisp.
From the emacs lisp reference ....

   * In some other systems there is a convention of choosing variable
     names that begin and end with `*'.  We don't use that convention
     in Emacs Lisp, so please don't use it in your programs.  (Emacs
uses such names only for special-purpose buffers.)

Can anyone expand on this?  When exactly should buffer names include or
not include asteri?

I don't know about "exactly", but I think the convention is buffers that
are not visiting files.  (Not that buffer names have anything to do with
variable names.)

P.S. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/asteri

--
Kevin Rodgers