Re: emacs keybinding syntaxes bewilderment

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: emacs keybinding syntaxes bewilderment
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:57:10 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the answer about how to make PC keyboard's Windows key as
Hyper.

B. T. Raven wrote:
「
;; Single char cursor movement on Dvorak layout
(global-set-key [(meta h)] 'backward-char)
(global-set-key [(meta n)] 'forward-char)
(global-set-key [(meta c)] 'previous-line)
(global-set-key [(meta t)] 'next-line)
」

Great. I did exactly the same, starting in about 1992 across Mac using
the QuicKeys utility, then with pure emacs since i stopped using
QuicKeys in about 2002.

(Mac OS X does have a system-wide scheme to rebind keys, see
http://xahlee.org/emacs/osx_keybinding.html
however, the problem is that it's not really universal, since many
apps not using Cocoa Text System will not respect it. (this includes
some major apps such as Finder, FireFox, Opera, TextWrangler... so
practically making it far less useful))

「What I really want is for those first four bindings to be used with
the Ctrl modifier rather than Meta, but the C-h and C-c prefixes
preclude that possibility.」

Yeah, i understand exactly: you wanted the modifier keys for cursor
movements to be the one immediate neighbor to the space bar, so the
thumb can press it readily.

I did a fairly extensive remapping here
http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html

I didn't swap Control and Meta, instead, i considered the Meta-<<key>>
space free and placed all major cursor moving and editing functions to
it.

My current .emacs for keybinding are these:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/xah_emacs_kbd_shortcuts.el
http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_keybinding_dvorak.el
http://xahlee.org/emacs/xah_emacs_unicode_input.el

  Xah