Re: The Lisp High (was: is Emacs completely written in lisp)

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: The Lisp High (was: is Emacs completely written in lisp)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:52:31 +0000 (UTC)

In article <87sl30bvp4.fsf_-_@W0053328.mgh.harvard.edu>,
Joel J. Adamson <jadamson@partners.org> wrote:

>What I tell people when they ask me about Scheme: "It's a programming
>language that brainwashes people into believing it's the best language,
>and makes it impossible to code in anything else.  I love it."
>
>I got a wicked Scheme buzz off some namespace manipulation this weekend.
>I can stop any time I want, but right now I'm doing everything in Scheme
>and Elisp.
>
>Joel
>
>--
>Joel J. Adamson
>Biostatistician
>Pediatric Psychopharmacology Research Unit
>Massachusetts General Hospital
>Boston, MA  02114
>(617) 643-1432
>(303) 880-3109

If you, a non-academic user of it, don't mind, how about
a bit on *why* you prefer Scheme to eg common lisp?

I mean, what kinds of things does it enable you to do,  either at all
or (just) (much) more easily?

Thanks,

David

PS: to avoid a mass of flames on "don't discuss this here!!
    Take your stupid discussion to a *lisp* or *Scheme* group (--
    you ASSHOLES!)",

    , simply add "elisp" to the "common lisp" up above.  :-)