Re: replace default tool-bar by home-grown tool-bar

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: replace default tool-bar by home-grown tool-bar
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:15:23 +1300

 > i am meditating over chapter 22.17 from the Emacs Lisp-manual for a
 > while and couldn't really get a hint on how to have my own tool-bar. I
 > understand how to define a keymap that describes the tool-bar but how do
 > i tell emacs to use my keymap? Maybe it is too obvious, but i can't
 > figure it out...

22.17.6 says (for edition 2.9, GNU Emacs version 23.0.50 but that
for 22.1 is probably the same) :

                                              Major modes may replace
     the global bar completely by making `tool-bar-map' buffer-local
     and set to a keymap containing only the desired items.  Info mode
     provides an example.

Looking at info.el:

  (set (make-local-variable 'tool-bar-map) info-tool-bar-map)

and info-tool-bar-map is created using tool-bar-local-item-from-menu

Is that not clear?

 > I didn't find any hooks for the tool-bar. While they are used so
 > frequently i wonder why there is none in this case. Wouldn't it be a
 > good idea to have one that defines all the buttons in the tool-bar?
 > If you can point me to a very simple example that would be nice.

gud.el provides another example.