Re: Region-highlighting has disappeared.

From: Adam Funk
Subject: Re: Region-highlighting has disappeared.
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:20:17 +0000

On 2007-12-19, Drew Adams wrote:

>> I just upgraded a computer from Ubuntu Feisty to Gutsy but (as far as
>> I'm aware) changed nothing else in the configuration; now the region
>> is no longer highlighted.  (I already have '(transient-mark-mode t) in
>> the custom-set-variables section of my ~/.emacs, but I can't figure
>> out what else to do.)  How can I force this back on?
>>
>> (Strangely, this did not happen with the other Ubuntu machine I
>> upgraded a month or so ago.)
>
> What is the current value of `transient-mark-mode' - not just the setting in
> your .emacs?

--begin copy & paste
transient-mark-mode is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
Its value is t
--end copy & paste

I just got that from C-h v transient-mark-mode, and using M-space M-w
and C-y to paste it there.  So the region definitely exists.

> If transient-mark mode is active and you have an active region, and it
> doesn't appear highlighted, then check (via `list-faces-display') to see if
> face `region' is actually something noticeable.
>
> What do you see when you try emacs -Q? That will tell you whether the
> problem is from Emacs itself or from your .emacs.

With the -q option, transient-mark-mode is nil until I set it, then
the region appears highlighted (as it always used to be).  In *both*
cases (with and without -q), list-faces-display gives the same output
for region:

Region face: (sample) [Hide Face]
   [State]: STANDARD.
Basic face for highlighting the region.
Parent groups: [Basic Faces]
Choice: [Value Menu]
 Attributes: [ ] Font Family: *
             [ ] Width: *
             [ ] Height: *
             [ ] Weight: *
             [ ] Slant: *
             [ ] Underline: *
             [ ] Overline: *
             [ ] Strike-through: *
             [ ] Box around text: *
             [ ] Inverse-video: *
             [X] Foreground: white      (sample)
             [X] Background: blue       (sample)
             [ ] Stipple: *
             [ ] Inherit: *

But emacs seems to ignore this without -q!

I'd like to stress that I haven't changed anything in ~/.emacs; I've
just done an ubuntu upgrade and switched from emacs21 to emacs22.