Re: annoying menu in minibuffer for selecting input charset (?)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: annoying menu in minibuffer for selecting input charset (?)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 01:15:02 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 17, 9:17 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: "bachm...@geo.uzh.ch" <bachm...@geo.uzh.ch>
> > Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 00:54:21 -0800 (PST)
>
> > In the minibuffer I see the words "glish/European]" (the font-size is
> > bigger than in other parts and the font-weight is bold. The start of
> > the string "[English" lies outside the emacs windows and is not
> > visible). When I click into the minibuffer a small window pops up
> > showing the 8 entries.
>
> > The annoyance is that I don't see any minibuffer 'messages' when I'm
> > e.g. looking for a file (hitting C-x f, entering the beginning of a
> > file name and then hitting TAB, or hitting M-x and starting to enter a
> > command), The regular minibuffer messages appear above the menu and I
> > have first to resize first the minibuffer before I see what I typed
> > (the minibuffer is only 1 line height and does not automatically
> > expand).
> > To illustrate the problem better I took some screenshots: They can be
> > seen herehttp://www.sonoqua.ch/emacs/.
>
> > > Also, does this happen when you start Emacs with "emacs -Q"?  If the
> > > problem disappears in "emacs -Q", there's something in your .emacs or
> > > the system-wide site-start.el file that causes this annoyance.
> > '-Q' doesn't remove the menu.
>
> Very strange.  I cannot find in the stock Emacs distribution any files
> that could result in the display shown in your screen shots.  Maybe
> I'm blind?
>
> What OS is that, and what does "M-x emacs-version RET" say?
> Also, what are the values of `system-configuration' and
> `system-configuration-options'?

emacs-version =
GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-pc-solaris2.8, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
2007-06-06 on thor

system-cofnguration =
"i386-pc-solaris2.8"

system-configuration-options =
" '--prefix=/opt/csw' 'CC=gcc' 'CFLAGS=-O3 -march=i486 ' 'CPPFLAGS= -I/
opt/csw/include  -I/opt/csw/gcc3/include -I/opt/csw/gcc3/include/c++/
3.4.5  -I/opt/csw/include '"