Re: Mac Apple/Command key on linux (or even just "Command-key in emacs

From: deprecated
Subject: Re: Mac Apple/Command key on linux (or even just "Command-key in emacs on linux")
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 06:46:53 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 27, 7:06 pm, David Brodbeck <bro...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Dec 27, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Livin Stephen Sharma wrote:
> > On 27/12/2007, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@web.de> wrote:
> > Am 26.12.2007 um 20:57 schrieb Livin Stephen:
> > > I'd like to know how the keyboard's Command Key can be mapped to
> > Ctrl
> > > on linux.
> > Are you using X11 or some terminal emulation to connect to the Linux
> > side from your Mac?
>
> > I connect using VNC - kinda like Remote Desktop, I guess?
> >http://www.realvnc.com/vnc/index.html
> >http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/
>
> > "... A VNC client allows one to display and interact with a remote
> > computer screen. ... "
>
> VNC emulates an X server, so xmodmap is probably what you want.

And to find out which keys to map, you can use "xev". Run it on your
linux server while connected via vnc. It gives you a little window
that will register all your keypresses and tell you the relevant
keysym and keycode.

However, I'm not sure this will be any help. With the VNC client that
I use (Chicken of the VNC), both the Command and Option key on my
powerbook seem to generate the same key on the linux side - keycode 64
(keysym 0xffe9 Alt_L). This means that if you bind the Command key to
Ctrl in emacs, you won't be able to use the Option key for meta.
Perhaps you could bind the Ctrl key to meta. I haven't found any way
of fixing this with Chicken of the VNC, but other vnc clients might be
better in this regard.

Personally, I avoid "emacs pinky syndrome" by using my thumb
instead...

Cheers

Will