reading environment variables

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: reading environment variables
Date: 03 Jan 2008 09:28:51 +0100

Dear gnu emacs gurus,

I'm trying to get hold of an environment variable a process sets that I'm
starting with make-comint.

I know of getenv, but that doesn't seem to do the right thing: as far as I can
see it only knows about variables that affect emacs, rather than a given
process.

Unfortunately, the value of this variable decides how emacs will communicate
with the subprocess, therefore I cannot really ask the process about the
value...  Well, maybe I can somehow, but I'm hoping for an easy way.

Many thanks,

Martin