Re: Emacs and Gud

From: Chris Gordon-Smith
Subject: Re: Emacs and Gud
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 22:28:06 +0000

Nick Roberts wrote:

>  > > possible that they have configured Emacs to just use text mode.
>  > > However, even in this case Emacs 22.1 should look like this:
>  > >
>  > > Run gdb (like this):
>  > > gdb --fullname
>  > > /home/chris/mydata/Projects/SimSoup/simsoup-cpp/simsoup/simsoup
>  > >
>  > Interesting.  This gets me into a graphical mode where I have a source
>  > window with a pointer in the fringe by the execution point. However, I
>  > still don't have the other debugger windows (stack etc.), and I don't
>  > have the little red dot in the fringe by breakpoints.
>
> This is what we call text command mode in the Emacs manual.  Its
> "traditional"
> GUD that has been part of Emacs 21 and earlier.  Its quite basic: there
> are just two buffers, the GUD buffer for typing GDB commands and the
> source buffer. I would guess from your surprise and description that
> you've not used gdb in an earlier version of Emacs.
>
>  > > or this:
>  > >
>  > > Run gdb (like this):
>  > > gdb --annotate=1
>  > > /home/chris/mydata/Projects/SimSoup/simsoup-cpp/simsoup/simsoup
>  > >
>  > This gives the same as gdb --fullname
>
> --fullname and --annotate=1 are equivalent options in GDB.
>
>  >
>  > > What value does gud-gdb-command-name have?
>  > >
>  > (gud-gdb-command-name "gdb
>  > /home/chris/mydata/Projects/SimSoup/simsoup-cpp/simsoup/simsoup")
>
> OK, now I understand.  The default option "--annotate=3" is necessary for
> the operation of the GDB Graphical Interface ("--annotate=2" also works
> but there
> are differences).  I'll will add a note in the doc string to that effect -
> thanks.
>
> It looks like you only ever debug one program. If that's the
> case customise gud-gdb-command-name to:
>
> "gdb --annotate=3
> /home/chris/mydata/Projects/SimSoup/simsoup-cpp/simsoup/simsoup"
>
>  > If I try --annotate=2 I get all the debug windows, but now the gdb
>  > command line usually won't do anything (eg if I type "list" nothing
>  > happens)! I did however get a working system the first time I tried
>  > --annotate=2, with the little red dot etc., but no joy since then
>
> Emacs might be confused by the previous value.  What happens if you
> customise gud-gdb-command-name to the above value and restart Emacs?

Thanks for your comments. It seems that the problem is a conflict between
ECB and GUD.

If I run GUD with --annotate=1 then I gat the basic two buffer debugging,
and this works OK within an ECB environment.

With --annotate=2  or --annotate=3, GUD doesn't work properly with ECB. I
get messages like:-

"error in process filter; Window height 2 too small (after splitting)"

Sometimes it partly works, but usually the GUD menu disappears and so do
most of the debug windows. There seems to be no way to get them back.

If I deactivate ECB before I start GDB, then both --annotate=2 and
annotate=3 work fine.

Incidentally, I have set gud-gdb-command-name to
gdb --annotate=3 /home/chris/mydata/Projects/SimSoup/simsoup-cpp/simsoup/simsoup

I mainly use ECB for programming, and I think that while it would be nice to
have it available while debugging, it is workable without.

Any thoughts on how to get ECB and GUD working together would however be
welcome.

Chris Gordon-Smith
London
www.simsoup.info