Re: Emacs and Gud

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Emacs and Gud
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:08:45 +1300

 > If I run GUD with --annotate=1 then I gat the basic two buffer debugging,
 > and this works OK within an ECB environment.
 >
 > With --annotate=2  or --annotate=3, GUD doesn't work properly with ECB. I
 > get messages like:-
 >
 > "error in process filter; Window height 2 too small (after splitting)"

Both ECB and gdb-ui (the graphical part of GUD) use something called
dedicated windows.  This means that they're protective over their
window configuration and won't let other buffers display in their windows.

 > Sometimes it partly works, but usually the GUD menu disappears and so do
 > most of the debug windows. There seems to be no way to get them back.

Maybe 'C-x 5 2' (opens a new frame) followed by M-x gdb-many-windows in the
new frame will work

 > If I deactivate ECB before I start GDB, then both --annotate=2 and
 > annotate=3 work fine.
 >
 > Incidentally, I have set gud-gdb-command-name to
 > gdb --annotate=3
 > /home/chris/mydata/Projects/SimSoup/simsoup-cpp/simsoup/simsoup
 >
 > I mainly use ECB for programming, and I think that while it would be nice to
 > have it available while debugging, it is workable without.
 >
 > Any thoughts on how to get ECB and GUD working together would however be
 > welcome.

I think there will always be conflicts without a major redesign.  ECB isn't
part of Emacs and I've never really used it.  Ideally ECB would be integrated
into Emacs but that would be a lot of work and I don't think it's going to
happed anytime soon.

If simsoup is a large program and you really need a project based development
environment you may be better off using Eclipse with CDT.  I guess I shouldn't
really be saying that on help-gnu-emacs and you will have to recommend the use
of GDB in Emacs to others as a daily pennance!