Re: help-gnu-emacs Digest, Vol 62, Issue 20

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: help-gnu-emacs Digest, Vol 62, Issue 20
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 22:31:50 +1300

Mike Mattie writes:

 > try a space like this:
 > (kbd "C-c ,")

Have you tried this?  It won't work.

 > If that fixes it try using a function I previously posted that eliminates
 > the errors from the process of defining keys.

If it were so simple don't you think Emacs would do this?

 > (defun insert-key-notation ()
 >   "inject a complete \(kbd \"sequence\"\) with key notation for a key
 > sequence given by prompt"
 >   (interactive)
 >   (insert "(kbd \"")
 >   (insert (format-kbd-macro (read-key-sequence "Key? " nil t)))
 >   (insert "\")"))
 >
 > it will define the kbd sexp for you after it prompts you for the key
 > sequence.

It looks like the reason that it doesn't work has already been explained but
Forrest has decided not to accept the answer (or perhaps there is a
communication problem)...

 > > > The console and other terminal emulations can only produce "key
 > > > events" in the ASCII or extended ASCII range, i.e. 8 bit characters
 > > > (man ascii). Therefore not every time you hold down the control
 > > > "modifier" key and press some other key something with a meaning is
 > > > produced. It's like when you're scribbling on paper: not every
 > > > "picture" is a letter or a digit or worth an exhibition at MOMA ...
 > > > C-, can work X which has its own concept of events that are
 > > > abstracted from ASCII codes.
 > >
 > > C-x C-c work well in console, so i guess there must be something
 > > wrong with my key-binding settings. and also, emacs was designed in
 > > ages when X was not popular, it's unreasonable that custom
 > > key-binding doesn't work

Do "man ascii". This is 128 character set and 96, or thereabout, are printing
characters.  If there were a control character counterpart for each one that
would result in 192 character set.  Presumably control characters only exist
for C-@ to C-_ (0 to 32, @ to _ being 64 to 96).

 > > i'm a newbie, could you give me any detailed clue to solve it?

On a normal console, I don't think you can.