prob. bugs in emacs under ubuntu

From: yjgzhang
Subject: prob. bugs in emacs under ubuntu
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:19:34 -0800 (PST)

 I used to use emacs under Fedora and Mandriva. The emacs under those
two linux distributions has no problem at all. But when i transfered
to ubuntu, I lost the highlighting of a marked region, i.e., the
selected region using keyboard can not be highlighted. E.g, when you
using \C+space mark a begining of a region, and then using the left or
right arrows to move the cursor, nothing happened (it is supposed to
extend the colored region from the position where \C + space marked).
However, when I reach the end of the region, and using alt+w to cut
it, it still works. This problem is very annoying when you using the
keyboard for editing in Emacs, because you can not see the selected
region, they are in darks.

I also try to emacs -q to ignore my profile, the same thing happened.
Does anyone can tell me how to solve this problem?

Thanks.