Re: Plain text indentation problem

From: mccormick . bob
Subject: Re: Plain text indentation problem
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:51:26 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 14, 9:46 am, "oliver.g.char...@googlemail.com"
<oliver.g.char...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > The problem is, when I get to the second "Scenario" line that needs to
> > be indented less than the line before it.  Emacs automatically indents
> > it the same as the previous line (which I'd expect), but what's the
> > best way to get the line back to the same indentation as the previous
> > line?  I've been doing M-b's until I get to the beginning of the first
> > word ("Scenario"), then backspacing.  The problem is if I backspace
> > back to the beginning of the line, then hit tab again, emacs indents
> > the line in one space more than the first "Scenario" line.   In other
> > words, it looks kind of like this:
>
> > ** SNIP **
>
> > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  Is there an easier way to move a line
> > back one TAB width?
>
> > (BTW.. For anyone whose interested, the file format in question is for
> > the Ruby Rspec Story Runner tool)
>
> Well, the simple answer I can think of would be to write your own lisp
> function (or a keyboard macro) that would do the equivlient of C-a, C-
> f, <DEL>, C-e. Alternativly, you could store the location of the point
> and then jump back to that instead of the end of the line.
>
> However, I think a much more elegant and useful solution would be to
> write your own major mode for ruby rspec stories. More information on
> doing this can be found at [1], you are most likely most interested in
> [2].
>
> Hope this helps :)
>
> [1]:http://two-wugs.net/emacs/mode-tutorial.html
> [2]:http://two-wugs.net/emacs/mode-tutorial.html#indent

Honestly I'm still undecided whether I like rspec stories or not.   I
agree it could be fun to write a major mode for rspec stories, but
only if I do decide to continue using rspec.

But really I was primarily posting because I confused about the odd
indentation behavior in text mode.  I still can't figure out why that
would *be* the behavior.  :-(