Beginner's Lisp Question

From: Rasmus Pank Roulund
Subject: Beginner's Lisp Question
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:18:53 +0100

Hey,
This is probably a rather stupid question.
Either way, I use the texcount.pl script to count words in LaTeX document.
The output is something like this:

     FILE: hist_pol_oko.tex
     Words in text: 3811
     Words in headers: 43
     Words in float captions: 0
     Number of headers: 7
     Number of floats: 0
     Number of math inlines: 0
     Number of math displayed: 0

I have added the following to my .emacs file

     (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
      (list "Count Words" "texcount.pl %s.tex"
      'TeX-run-command nil t)
     )

First, when I have Count Words from within AUCTeX the status line displays
"Count Words: Done". Instead, I would like it to display the number of words. In the example above it would be "3811 words".

Second, would also be nice, if Emacs would be able to do a calculation. I.e. "3811 words and 10.88 normal page(s)". The second figure would be calculated by dividing 3811 with 350.

Third, I would be nice if I could define a alias for the "Count Words" command. I.e. "Wordcount" and "Count Words" would run the same script. I was only able to find

   (defalias 'perl-mode 'cperl-mode)

in the "Learning GNU Emacs", and as far as I can tell it would not work with this kind of command.

I am sorry for asking so many questions, but I am really unfamiliar with Lisp.

Thanks a bunch,
Rasmus