Re: OT about Gnu/Linux (in service of Emacs)

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: OT about Gnu/Linux (in service of Emacs)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:37:02 +0100

Am 21.01.2008 um 17:44 schrieb B. T. Raven:

Do I have to do it twice (once for root and once for ordinary user?

Yes and no.

Yes: when root is logged in and using X11 it has to be set for root. Too.

No: when root is guest on its host's desktop it "feels" the same as its hosts.

        xmodmap ${HOME}/.xmodmaprc

belongs into ~/.xinitrc. If no such file exists in an user's home directory, then a file like

        /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

can be used instead. For details consult your local manual – there is no general default.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible concentration.
                                – Donald Knuth