mouse-less emacs

From: sahteaccount
Subject: mouse-less emacs
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:01:29 -0800 (PST)

I am a fairly new linux and emacs user. When I was using a text editor
under windows, I rarely used the mouse. I used ctrl+shift+arrow keys
to select text and ctrl+c and ctrl+v to do copy paste stuff.

So far in linux (and emacs) whenever I need to copy/paste something, I
highlight the text with mouse and then middle-click the mouse to paste
it. What would be the shortcuts to do same things in emacs with
keyboard? Especially equivalent of ctrl+shift+arrow key in emacs?

Also ctrl+c and ctrl+v are conveniently located on the keyboard. To my
despair ctrl+c has a different meaning (kill!) for linux.

Finally... Undo is simply ctrl+z in windows, while linux uses that
combination to suspend the process. Emacs's ctrl+_ is difficult
because
1)  those key are not close to each other
2) I don't have an explicit _ key. It is 'shift' of +. So I need to
ctrl+shift+ + which is obviously harder.

Please help this poor soul in his transition to Linux and emacs

Thanks all