Re: kgdb in emacs

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: kgdb in emacs
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:26:43 +1300

 >      I'm trying to use kgdb in emacs on Freebsd V6.2. I'm able to use kgdb
 >      on the command line like this
 >      kgdb -r /dev/cuad0 kernel.debug.
 >      In 6.2 there is no gdb -k, only kgdb.

When can you use gdb -k?

With the latest GDB from CVS, I get:

$ gdb -k
gdb: unrecognized option `-k'

 >      But when I run it in emacs. M-x gdb
 >      Run gdb ( like this ) : kgdb -r /dev/cuad0 kernel.debug
 >      I get :
 >      Current directory is /dev/
 >      kgdb: multiple core files specified. Ignored
 >      kgdb: d: No such file or directory.
 >      Debugger exited abnormally with code 1
 >
 >      Why is emacs even interpretting my commands.
 >      Why doesn't it just call kgdb with whatever arguments
 >      I give ?

For some debuggers Emacs adds extra arguments.  It's also trying to parse the
name of the executable from the command line for the mode-line and hasn't been
designed with kgdb in mind.

I've not used kgdb and you don't say what version of Emacs you are using, but I
know kgdb can work in Emacs (and with Freebsd) because I've seen this
screenshot:

http://people.freebsd.org/~simokawa/gdb/dcons-emacs-gud.PNG

and this description:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/DebugWithDcons

where Hidetoshi Shimokawa sets gud-gdba-command-name

(setq gud-gdba-command-name "kgdb -a -a -a -r :12345")

It looks like "-a -a -a" sets the annotation level to 3 as needed by the
Graphical Interface (Emacs 22 only).  Text mode (or Emacs 21 or earlier)
presumably works with just "-a".

 >      Current directory is /dev/

It thinks the executable is /dev/cuad0, being the first argument that doesn't
start with a hyphen.

 >      kgdb: multiple core files specified. Ignored
 >      kgdb: d: No such file or directory.

I don't know what has happened here because this seems to parse correctly

 >      Debugger exited abnormally with code 1

Assuming kgdb is a bit like gdb with a remote target, does:

  Run gdb ( like this ) : kgdb -a -a -a kernel.debug
  (kgdb) target remote  /dev/cuad0

work?