Re: Starting emacs in ediff mode.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Starting emacs in ediff mode.
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:55:22 +0100

On Jan 27, 2008 2:17 PM, Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally I must admit to being surprised that emacsclient doesn't
> invoke emacs if there is not an existing emacs running - that one
> ommission makes it tricky to set up emacsclient as default viewer/editor
> in many cases.

Of course you can run emacsclient so it will start Emacs if it is not
running; that's what the --alternate-editor option is for. The trick,
of course, is that --alternate-editor doesn't run Emacs as a server
connected to the emacsclient instance that started it. That does not
preclude using it as default viewer/editor in all cases, just the ones
where it is automatically run from a tool that expects it to be done
when emacsclient returns (for example, in many VCS when emacsclient is
used as the editor for the commit logs).

> I've read reasonings as to why it doesn't launch emacs if
> not already done, but, well, it just seems quite wrong

I haven't read (in the emacs-devel list) reasonings as to why it
*shouldn't* do it, just as to why it is not yet implemented.

             Juanma