Cleverer behaviour of macro call/apply?

From: Nordlöw
Subject: Cleverer behaviour of macro call/apply?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 05:51:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi!

I tought it would be convient for the user if we copied the behaviour
of EmacsWiki's TabCompletion at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/TabCompletion
and applied these ideas to the execution of macros in Emacs.

More specifically I would like to merge the behaviour of kmacro-end-
and-call-macro() and apply-macro-to-region-lines() into one function
as follows:

(defun smart-call-or-apply-macro (???) ; What arguments?
  (interactive "r") ; What arguments?
  (if mark-active
      (apply-macro-to-region-lines ???) ; What arguments?
    (kmacro-end-and-call-macro ???))) ; What arguments?

I am however unsure of what arguments (???) my new function should use
and how they should be passed to the above mention macro-functions.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nordlöw