Re: Compilation mode output is badly displayed

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Compilation mode output is badly displayed
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:18:56 +0100

Am 30.01.2008 um 17:42 schrieb Sven Joachim:

$ echo  $LC_CTYPE

So it seems the reason why GCC emits UTF-8 encoding.

I don't see it ...

That said why doesn't Emacs notice the UTF-8 environment too ? It could
switch automatically to UTF-8 in this case ?

Normally it does, but you may have cruft in your init file that sets up
a non-UTF-8 environment.  Look there for calls to
set-language-environment and standard-display-european.

LC_CTYPE, the kind or type of characters used, is the most important environment variable in this case. If it's not set, then everything can happen. To me set-language-environment looks like an obsolete call: does it change the language in which you are informed about a character's, variable's, function's, or symbol's value? Is *calendar* showing the legal holidays in your country in your language?

If UTF-8 is not correctly or sufficiently established, then it helps a bit to have a

        (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

--
Greetings

  Pete

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
                                – Hunter S. Thompson