Re: Mysterious hidden end of line characters.

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Mysterious hidden end of line characters.
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 15:07:58 +0100

David <dpleydel@univ-fcomte.fr> writes:

>> > ~ $ su
>> > Password:
>> > dell-1 /home/dave #
>> >
>> > What options are there for having a nicer prompt in eshell? It would
>> > be nice to show the path in the prompt when the path is short or
>> > abreviate the path in the prompt when the path is long. Am I dreaming?
>>
>> Is it what you need ?
>>
>> (setq eshell-output-filter-functions (list 'eshell-handle-ansi-color
>>                                         'eshell-handle-control-codes
>>                                         'eshell-watch-for-password-prompt))
>
> Thanks Thiery, well not quite. Actually, something funny happened with
> my last email, what I see at the prompt for the super user has some
> code which looks like "^ [1;31m", but when I send this email from
> emacs to mutt this code becomes converted so in the email it doesn't
> look so bad and no one could see what the problem was.  To get around
> this I have added a space after the ^ in this email. It's the "^
> [1;31m" which really looks bad in the eshell. It looks like this short
> piece of code isn't converted but just pronted as it is making the
> prompt for the super user look ugly.
>
> cheers
> Dave

I guessed that , it do the same here if i don't use
eshell-output-filter-functions.

Do you have ansi color enabled in your .emacs ?

(autoload 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on "ansi-color" nil t)
(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)

When you do ls do you have color (blue dir , ...etc) ?
if not may be you can add dumb to ~/.ls_colors or /etc/DIR_COLORS

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu