Re: opening large files (few hundred meg)

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: opening large files (few hundred meg)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:26:21 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii
<eliz@gnu.org>], who wrote in article
<mailman.6836.1201863892.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
> > > The problem is not with the buffer size per se, it's with the fact
> > > that Emacs needs to be able to address each byte of the file's text
> > > with an Emacs integer data type, which is 29 bit wide on 32-bit
> > > machines.
> >
> > Are you sure?
>
> See src/buffer.h, where it defines `struct buffer_text'.  It has these
> members:

My point was that the maximal buffer size has NOTHING to do with the
size of the file which may be HANDLED by this buffer.

> > Why won't this work?

> Maybe it would, but I wasn't trying to describe some inherent
> limitation of 32-bit machines, I was describing the limitation of the
> _current_ Emacs implementation.  The OP wanted to know how can Emacs
> be used to edit large files, not how Emacs can be modified.

I was not discussing modifications to Emacs.  I was discussing how to
use Emacs to show files which are larger than the buffer.

All you need to know is that the "guard regions" are touched.  This is
definitely possible (by file-mode code) for display.  I do not know
whether this is possible to do for search too...

Hope this helps,
Ilya