Re: RCIRC loading problem with Solaris 10!

From: rthoreau
Subject: Re: RCIRC loading problem with Solaris 10!
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 05:35:21 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 29, 2:09 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 29.01.2008 um 16:35 schrieb rthoreau
>
> > /opt/sfw/share/emacs/21.3/lisp
>
> This directory belongs to the GNU Emacs installation. It's not the
> proper place for some "third-party software" add-on. /opt/sfw/share/
> emacs/21.3/site-lisp and /opt/sfw/share/emacs/site-lisp are more
> appropriate. (load-library "rcirc") typed into *scratch* buffer and
> then a C-j should load it, just to proof.
>
> BTW, GNU Emacs 22.1 comes with rcirc: 22.1.50/lisp/net/rcirc.el.gz
> (OK, I'm using a version from CVS! So it must not be true what I claim).
>
> --
> Greetings
>    Pete

Solved!

After harassing the guys on IRC and looking at what was in my ~.emacs
file I did not load the package. All I had to do was add the load
rcirc.el at the top of the rcirc blurp and it works.

But I must say that I still need to do more research on key mapping,
and getting my keyboard setup, like having the right alt key as a meta
key as well, as well as the right ctrl key. This is more of a xorg
xwindow and setting the correct settings.