Re: problems reading some manual pages in emacs (M-x Woman)

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: problems reading some manual pages in emacs (M-x Woman)
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:04:55 +1100

Peter Smerdon <psmerdon@magma.ca> writes:

> Hello,
> I like to use the `woman' package to read manual pages but noticed
> recently that some new software I install is not being added to the
> woman database. (if it even uses a database, I am not sure)
>
> For example, I installed `namp' and `most', neither show up in
> Woman. The only way to read these fine manual pages is to use
> woman-find-file.
>
> I tried with both of theses versions:
> GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of
> 2007-11-06 on king, modified by Ubuntu
>
> GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of
> 2007-12-30 on osmium
>
> Oh, while on the same subject, is there any way to bookmark a woman
> manual page with the bookmark package?
>
> C-x rm gives me:
> bookmark-set: Buffer not visiting a file or directory

There are a couple of things I can think of you should check out.

Firstly, make sure you can get those pages with the normal 'man'
command. This will verify that things like your manpath settings are
correct and the whatis database has been re-buuilt since adding the new
man pages.

If that all works fine, try starting woman with the 'universal'
arguement. This will force woman to re-build it s man page cache i.e.

C-u M-x woman

As for bookmarking the pages, not sure it will work because bookmarks
are associated with files and while the man page is in a file, to emacs,
its just a woman buffer.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au