Re: Mac OS and Unicode

From: Florian Lindner
Subject: Re: Mac OS and Unicode
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 13:06:49 +0000 (UTC)

In article <pcoy79vxdn5.fsf@shuttle.math.ntnu.no> Harald
Hanche-Olsen<hanche@math.ntnu.no> wrote:
>  + Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de>:
>>   Well, even if I use the terminal (which has the locale set) to
>> start emacs it does not work.

>  Hmm.  Well, if so it won't help to set the environment variable by
> other means.  Just to be sure, you can check the variable
> "process-environment" in emacs to check if LANG (if that's the one
> you're using) is set.  Youcheck it using C-h v process-environment
>  RET.

Ok, now I see it's set correctly if emacs is started from terminal.app
but not when started with Spotlight.
>>   Furthermore I haven't found the preference pane you were talking
>> about neither is ~/.MacOSX existing.

>  Sorry, I should have made myself clear.  That preference pane is not
> standard on Mac OS X.  You'll have to download it from the net and
> install it.  Google should find it for you.  ~/.MacOSX does not
> usually exist either, but RCEnvironment will create it and the
> environment.plist file inside it.  (You can edit it by hand, or use
> the property list editor, but that requires a bit of knowledge -
> which can also be gottenfrom the net, but using RCEnvironment is
>  easier.)

I have created that file and edited with the property list editor.

florian@r098153 ~: cat .MacOSX/environment.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"<http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd>"><plist
version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>LANG</key>
        <string>de_DE.UTF-8</string>
</dict>
</plist>

and rebooted my machine. But still C-h v process-environment shows no
LANG variable when started from spotlight.

Regards,

Florian

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 60 days.
You should really try it!