Re: display of ancient Greek chars (after: Re: set UTF-8 for a file (HTM

From: ken
Subject: Re: display of ancient Greek chars (after: Re: set UTF-8 for a file (HTML))
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:17:13 -0500

On 02/10/2008 06:11 PM Peter Dyballa wrote:

Am 10.02.2008 um 21:09 schrieb ken:

Is there another variable:value pair I can include in the first line (specified above) to make the Greek characters display correctly in emacs?

No, not that easily (there were rich or augmented text modes mentioned on this list, but I don't remember). The problem you have in GNU Emacs is that you either need a (mono-spaced) font that has Latin and Greek glyphs (xfd can display a font's contents, you could also set for xfontsel a sampleTextUCS resource that combines Greek and some Latin to instantly show whether the chosen font is able to display it, you also can use fc-list to display only fonts that have Greek support: 'fc-list :lang=el', the "word" ``el´´ is from RFC-3066/ISO 639, which you should know as HTML programmer) or you need to setup a fontset in which you combine font A to serve for Latin and font B to serve for Greek (and font C for Indic ...). Something like this might work (for one font size):

(create-fontset-from-fontset-spec "-adobe-courier-medium-r-*-*-9-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-09pt_adobe_courier" t 'noerror) (set-fontset-font "fontset-09pt_adobe_courier" 'latin-iso8859-1 '("adobe-courier" . "iso8859-1"))

Peter,

Thanks, but that didn't work.

I cut-n-pasted the code you provided into its own file.  Then I ran

emacs -q -l emacs.d/.emacs-with-multi-langs &

(emacs.d/.emacs-with-multi-langs is the file your code went into.)

Then I opened up (visited) my file with the Greek chars in it and they showed up as what I can only describe as "garbage" characters, not even the blocks I had before and certainly nothing like Greek.

On an optimistic note, running "fc-list :lang=el" returned 86 lines of fonts, many with multiple styles. And

$ fc-list :lang=el|grep -i "courier new"
Courier New:style=Regular,Normal,obyčejné,Standard,Κανονικά,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,thường,Arrunta Courier New:style=Bold Italic,Negreta cursiva,tučné kurzíva,fed kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα Πλάγια,Negrita Cursiva,Lihavoitu Kursivoi,Gras Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet Cursief,Halvfet Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito Itálico,Полужирный Курсив,Tučná kurzíva,Fet Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Krepko poševno,Lodi etzana Courier New:style=Italic,Cursiva,kurzíva,kursiv,Πλάγια,Kursivoitu,Italique,Dőlt,Corsivo,Cursief,Kursywa,Itálico,Курсив,İtalik,Poševno,nghiêng,Etzana Courier New:style=Bold,Negreta,tučné,fed,Fett,Έντονα,Negrita,Lihavoitu,Gras,Félkövér,Grassetto,Vet,Halvfet,Pogrubiony,Negrito,Полужирный,Fet,Kalın,Krepko,đậm,Lodia

(Line wrap broke the lines above between "Courier" and "New".)

So would it fix things to change somehow this line in your code:

(set-fontset-font "fontset-09pt_adobe_courier" (cons (decode-char 'ucs #x0370) (decode-char 'ucs #x03cf)) '("courier new" . "iso10646-1")) ; Greek

??

Thanks again.

--
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
same level of thinking we were at when we created them.