Re: Emacs refusing to switch to iso-latin-1

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Emacs refusing to switch to iso-latin-1
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:03:44 +0100

Hi David and all,

>> I did not know about that.
>>
>> But, for me, this does not explain why my request to "use
>> iso-latin-1-unix for saving this buffer" is not respected.
>
> Because your file does not start with
>
> Is that so hard to understand?

I'm quite surprised, yes, because it's one of the first time
Emacs does something in my back, without my knowledge.

I'm not surprised by such behaviors from all the other tools, in
particular the MS ones, but here... yes I am.

> XML without such a header is encoded in utf-8, period. Any
> conforming XML interpreter will _barf_ if you were able to
> save in latin-1.

OK, but this annoys me, still. It's not because that file has a
`.xml' extension that it has to be complete. I would never give
it to a parser like that.

That file, along with others, is part of a correct XML file
that's created by a process, from different sub-sources. The
file I'm editing is one of these sources. So, I can't put a
header in there, otherwise it would appear everywhere in the
resulting XML file.

OK, maybe I can add "local variables" comments in every
sub-file, yes, but I didn't expect from Emacs to take decisions
away from me - but for a default coding system when nothing is
specified (and, even then, it's under my knowledge). Sorry.

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban