Re: Emacs refusing to switch to iso-latin-1

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs refusing to switch to iso-latin-1
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:58:32 -0500

> OK, maybe I can add "local variables" comments in every
> sub-file, yes, but I didn't expect from Emacs to take decisions
> away from me - but for a default coding system when nothing is
> specified (and, even then, it's under my knowledge). Sorry.

That's also a good point.  Maybe the default for XML files shouldn't be
utf-8 but `undefined' (i.e. the usual default which tries to
auto-detect the encoding).  It should still work well since utf-8 is
among the first encodings for which we try auto-detection and it has
a very good detector (very few non-utf-8 files are detected as utf-8).

Again, please report this via M-x report-emacs-bug.

        Stefan