Re: For users not programmers with very little, maybe a smattering of ex

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: For users not programmers with very little, maybe a smattering of experience, how do you setup gnus for reading email?...
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:46:29 +0100

On Thu, Feb 14 2008, Bastien Guerry wrote:

> This minimal Gnus configuration file might help you here:

I wouldn't call it "minimal Gnus configuration file".  Some settings
there are already the default, not required or just a matter of taste.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Starting Up") ]
|    If your system administrator has set things up properly, starting
| Gnus and reading news is extremely easy--you just type `M-x gnus' in
| your Emacs.  If not, you should customize the variable
| `gnus-select-method' as described in *Note Finding the News::.  For a
| minimal setup for posting should also customize the variables
| `user-full-name' and `user-mail-address'.
`----

For mail, you need to set up `gnus-secondary-select-methods' as
described in...

,----[ (info "(gnus)Getting Started Reading Mail") ]
|    For instance, if you want to use `nnml' (which is a "one file per
| mail" back end), you could put the following in your `~/.gnus.el' file:
|
|      (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))
|
|    Now, the next time you start Gnus, this back end will be queried for
| new articles, and it will move all the messages in your spool file to
| its directory, which is `~/Mail/' by default.  The new group that will
| be created (`mail.misc') will be subscribed, and you can read it like
| any other group.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--