Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple so

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: Task list like Eclipse's that can keep track of TODOs in multiple source files
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:39:23 +0000

Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>> Michael Hoffman <b3i4old02@sneakemail.com> writes:
>>
>>> What I ended up doing was using org-mode. To keep links with places in
>>> the original file, I made a keyboard macro that replaced the old TODOs
>>> with #1, #2, #3, etc. and copied them to the org file with a link back
>>> to the location of #1 in the original file.
>>>
>> Planner and remember do that without writing anything in the file:
>> when you are in your file you just C-x C-n to be able to take a note
>> linked to that point in the file.
>
> Thanks, but I want a method that will be robust to changes in the linked
> file. I do not understand how this is possible without adding anchors in
> the linked file somehow.

If I understand correctly, what you want is some kind of multi-remember:
you want to be able to create multiple links from the current buffer and
store those links somewhere in an Org file.

Maybe you can have something near by using a clever template:

(setq org-remember-templates
      '(("Code" ?c"* %T%?\n\n%(my-list-of-todo-links)"
         "~/org/annotation.org" "Code")

With `my-list-of-todo-links' creating a list of links to all the
locations where you have a TODO in the buffer, resulting in:

- TODO #1: [[~/buffre::(defun foo][My foo defun to debug]]
- TODO #2: [[~/buffre::(defun bar][My bar defun to debug]]
- ...

This is bit as if you replace the %a in the template by a %(sexp)
doing the job of harvesting several links.

The only problem with this is that remember this won't get rid of such
previously remembered items (hence the %T in the template.)  You would
have to delete/archive them by hand.

HTH

--
Bastien