Re: Anything.el for Windows

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Anything.el for Windows
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:55:38 +0100

Hi Sébastien,

>>> One thing you could try is to insert a (message "foo") into
>>> anything-c-source-locate's candidates lambda function, so
>>> that you can see if it is called.
>>
>> I could now check that it's not called (after restart of
>> Emacs).
>
> Grr, that's the worst thing you could tell. :-)

No, maybe there's worse... ;-((

> Ok, I looked into anything.el and maybe I found the culprit.
> What does
>
>   (sit-for anything-idle-delay)
>
> return on your system? If it returns nil, then that's the
> problem.

... it does return `t'.

I realized I even used that fact to speed up things under
Windows, as done in my `.emacs' (comes from EmacsWiki):

;; make anything minibuffer better input latency
(defadvice anything-check-minibuffer-input (around sit-for activate)
  (if (sit-for anything-idle-delay t)
      ad-do-it))

I commented that, and restarted Emacs to see if there was a
change for my problem. No. It did not change anything, except it
way slower now on Windows...

Thanks for your help,
  Seb

--