Re: Mac OS X load path

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Mac OS X load path
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:02:35 +0100

Am 19.02.2008 um 01:56 schrieb Dmitrijs Ledkovs:

My question is now is how do I uninstall both emacs (apple's and compiled) from my system.

There is no sense in wiping Apple's old Emacs. It's part of the OS

Ideal of having Emacs in Application Support is appealing to me, because I want to keep things structured OS X style =D.

/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs is meant to contain local additions, like for example AUCTeX (not the application). The Carbon Emacsen and other variants can be created as a "light" application bundle, one that does not contain the whole ELisp trees. I did it by first making the bootstrap target for an X client Emacs. Then I made the light application bundle (mac/make-package does this job somehow by using the proper configure options), just a simple make. This process creates a PKG file inside a DMG archive. Open and install. It installs a /usr/local/bin/emacs that does not seem to work, so the X client is made again (plain, no bootstrap), which easily works because its configuration was not changed since bootstrapping it. Then install this one. You'll have the X client /usr/local/bin/emacs and the Carbon /Applications/Emacs.app.

--
Greetings

  Pete      <\