Re: Enlarging the question Was: Re: Does pclcvs support ssh protocol ?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Enlarging the question Was: Re: Does pclcvs support ssh protocol ?
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:21:35 +1100

Pierre Lorenzon <devel@pollock-nageoire.net> writes:

> From: Mike Mattie <codermattie@gmail.com>
>
>   Yes ! do you mean that tramp for instance uses ssh-agent ? It
>   might be ; I didn't examine the code to answer this question

I think you have things mixed up conceptually. Tramp doesn't need to
know anything about ssh-agent. It simply tries to make a connection over
ssh and ssh-agent handles all the authentication stuff with ssh - tramp
doesn't need to know about ssh-agent.

I've been using an agent with ssh for a very long time, but I think
tramp will prompt for a password if ssh askes for it. However, since I
have ssh-agent, this never needs to happen with the work I do, so I
could be wrong.

Someone else mentioned that if your using ssh, then really you should
use ssh-agent. apart from making things a lot simpler, it means your not
typing passwords everytime you make an ssh connection. Typing less
passwords means (usually) better security simply because there is less
opportunity for them to be seen/stolen.

Setup ssh-agent and the necessary keys and all your questions about
pcl-cvs and ssh will probably just become irrelevant.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au