Re: Cut and open commands?

From: saneman
Subject: Re: Cut and open commands?
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:28:03 +0100

saneman wrote:
I would like to redefine cut and open to: C-x and C-o regardless of the built in definitions. But I cannot redefine cut:

(global-set-key "\C-x" 'kill)

when I select some text and press C-x I just get:

symbols function definition is void:kill

And what are the function called that opens a new file?

Currently I have to press C-space to start a mark in the text that I can use to select some text. Is it possible to just redefine to shift instead of C-space?

Problems solved. Now I only need to find a way to use the shift modifier for set-mark-command:

(global-set-key "\S" 'set-mark-command)

S does not not work. Have tried Shift but that does not work either. Is shift not part of the keymap in emacs?