Re: Window annoyances (was Some annoying behaviours)

From: rustom
Subject: Re: Window annoyances (was Some annoying behaviours)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 01:21:54 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 21, 1:31 pm, "Francis Moreau" <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Emacs is cool but I'd still like to fix some annoying details to make it
> perfect.
>
> The first one is about the 'completion' window which doesn't close
> automatically once it's no more needed. I know I can switch to this
> window and close it but it would be really nice to make this auto.
>
> The second one is about new windows that are automatically open
> by Emacs, for example when I start a compilation or GDB. Emacs
> choose an old widow (almost randomly) and replace this one with
> the new one. But it always choose the wrong window to replace.
> Is it possible to make a 'sticky' window that is a window that
> can't be chosen by Emacs to be switched by a new one ?
>
> Thanks !
> --
> Francis

I am also recently faced with with some window annoyances which are --
I think -- more annoying than the above because I cant seem to work
around them at all.

When I want to compare to buffers using ediff-buffers, I often want
the buffers side-by-side (C-x 3) rather than the default one-above-
other (C-x 2). Even if I take the trouble to arrange the windows as I
want and then invoke ediff-buffers  emacs is adamant enough to remake
the windows up-down, quite ignoring my configuration!