Re: Too small fonts after Emacs-Snapshot update

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Too small fonts after Emacs-Snapshot update
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:35:58 +1100

> Am 26.02.2008 um 09:30 schrieb Tim X:
>
>> I suspect it could be some bit of 'kruft' left over from a dist upgrade.
>

> LibXft can be a problem – this is true in Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger): libXft is
> obviously too old here.
>
> Recent GNU Emacs 23.0.60 is able to use more than one font backend: X11,
> Freetype, Xft:
>
>       !Emacs.FontBackend:     x
>       !Emacs.FontBackend:     xft
>       !Emacs.FontBackend:     ftx
>
> Since some days you can combine backends:
>
>       Emacs.FontBackend:      x,xft
>
> There can also be another source of problems: libfontconfig. It has to be
> modern, too, to allow to select fonts by certain properties.

thanks Pete. Actually, my problems now appear to be hardware
based. Looks like I've developed some bad memory in my system. However,
the stuff you provided on specifying the font backend is very
interesting and I will be experimenting to see what, if any,
differences I get.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au