Re: Cannot get set-fontset-font do what I need

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Cannot get set-fontset-font do what I need
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:04:39 +0100

Am 03.03.2008 um 02:49 schrieb yavuz164:

After that I chose the newly-appering fontset from Options->SetFont/
Fontset, but when I ps-spool-buffer, it comes back reporting all the
Turkish characters in text unprintable.

The problem has many different layers ...

The fontsets you define are only a helpful means for presenting (displaying) the encoded characters from the file in some window in GNU Emacs. Printing the (still unchanged) file's contents or its view in a GNU Emacs buffer is completely independent from this. And it gives you two new problems: you'll need to find at least one font that contains the Turkish glyphs and you'll need to provide a PostScript encoding for Turkish/ISO 8859-9/ISO Latin-7.

The first PostScript problem, the font, is the big problem, from my point of view: I don't know of a PostScript font with Turkish glyphs like:

        ;   oct   dec   hex    UCS2    UTF-8
        ;=====================================
Ğ = 320 = 208 = D0 = U+011E = C4 9E : LATIN CAPITAL LETTER G WITH BREVE İ = 335 = 221 = DD = U+0130 = C4 B0 : LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT ABOVE Ş = 336 = 222 = DE = U+015E = C5 9E : LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CEDILLA ğ = 360 = 240 = F0 = U+011F = C4 9F : LATIN SMALL LETTER G WITH BREVE ş = 376 = 254 = FE = U+015F = C5 9F : LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CEDILLA

The PostScript encoding problem is at least solved in GNU Emacs 23.0.60 from CVS. If you had this version (I presume you are using GNU Emacs 22.1 or elder) you could set up proper PostScript fonts to use via the customisation interface. Then all could be fine.

In the meantime you can use a perfect work-around: htmlize-view.el by Lennart Borgmann (http:// piprim.tuxfamily.org/home/pi/emacs.d/site-lisp/htmlize-view.el ?) and htmlize.el by Hrvoje Nikšić (http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/ htmlize.el). Htmlize-view creates an HTML buffer by means of htmlize. This buffer is sent to your web browser. Now you can print from the browser in (complete) Unicode, using your system's capabilities, which are more elaborate than GNU Emacs.

If you can't find htmlize-view.el I can send you my copy privately.

BTW, you know that the ps-spool-* commands don't print but just create *PostScript* buffers?

--
Greetings

  Pete

Hard Disk, n.:
        A device that allows users to delete vast quantities
        of data with simple mnemonic commands.