Re: SMTP library problem

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: SMTP library problem
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:41:27 +0100

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 13:54:44 +0100 David <de_bb@arcor.de> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:
>> I have a similar or perhaps the same problem.  I use the same type of
>> settings as you do.  How long did you wait after Emacs "froze up".  In
>> my case, it "unfreezes" after 20 minutes and the SMTP trace buffer shows
>> this:
>>
>> Process SMTP finished
>> 454 TLS connection failed: timed out (#4.3.0)
>> - Peer has closed the GNUTLS connection
>> QUIT
>
> Could it be that the SMTP server does ssmtp (usually on port 465)
> instead of SMTP+STARTTLS?

The does indeed use port 465 (and I set smtpmail-smtp-service to 465).
Are you saying that smtpmail.el does not support ssmtp?

>                           Do you see a greeting message from the server
> when you connect to it with telnet?

No:

$ telnet mail.myprovider.com
Trying 123.456.78.9...
telnet: connect to address 123.456.78.9: Connection timed out

I know nothing about ssmtp.  Assuming the server does use it, is there a
way to access it from Gnus?

Steve Berman